First of all, Happy Valentine’s Day. As I am single and basically an old woman in a 20-year-old’s body, I will be cooking and watching TV tonight instead of going out on a hot date. If you find yourself without any plans on SAD, (Single’s Awareness Day) maybe try out this recipe? I definitely classify it as comfort food.
So I made this soup last weekend and, unfortunately, am just now getting around to posting it. Let me just say this soup/stew is amazing. I only had one problem: my squash wasn’t tender enough, but that’s my fault. I didn’t cut the squash chunks small enough or cook them long enough. Live and learn I guess. Also, the recipe calls for 3/4 cup pitted and quartered kalamata olives, but I chose to omit those.
I had some friends over when I cooked this, and they all kept saying my apartment smelled like an Italian restaurant. The flavor, texture and consistency is perfect. It definitely hits the spot on a cold winter night.
Recipe for Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash & Quinoa from Cookin’ Canuck
1 1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-in pieces (I didn’t use an entire squash if that helps…)
3 1/2 cups of chicken broth (I ended up using the entire carton since it wasn’t soupy enough for me)
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used a breast)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
Ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- To the saucepan, add tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine.
- Stir in reserved chicken broth and quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with your fingers or a fork.
- Stir the chicken and pepper into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and serve.